Sunday, May 23, 2010

hippy fest and hanging on to stuff

That is Guitar Panda performing at this year`s hippy fest in Imabari. Even though it rained and I didnt get much sleep, I had a great time. Japanese hippies are the best. I met young Japanese people who lived in India, South America, Mexico, Nepal....really cool cats. lots of dreads and tatoos and wonderful foods.


And here are two new marimokkori I got from friends. Can you believe thsi guy!

I'm beginning to pack up my house, organize my papers and pictures, throw away old cards and letters. it`s really hard, throwing away my stuff. for example, i opened up a drawer I hadn't opened in years. I had no idea what was in it, so technically i could have thrown away everything inside, right? i wouldn't have missed any of it. But as I leafed through the papers I found letters from old lovers, pictures of people i might never see again, inspirational articles..all this sentimental crap I wanted to keep. Half of the drawer went into my "important stuff" pile. Damnit!

"Have you noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?" George Carlin

I`m constantly reminded of my favorite Ram Dass lecture "Cultivating the Heart of Compassion", where he talks about putting stuff in boxes that follow him around wherever he moves. We think we will "run out of the here and now", and when we do we can look back at the old days and find satisfaction. But as we get older, the here and now just becomes more and more rich and wonderful...

But I hold onto stuff not just for my own records, but also for my imaginary son...He might want some of this stuff. Or someone i love might find it useful..or i might be able to use this in an art project....I'm a pack rat, like my mother.

i need a fire.

or to be more like Maude.

....Harold gives Maude the tiny ring.

MAUDE: "Ohhhhh! This is the nicest present I've received in years." She kisses it and tosses it happily into the ocean. She turns back to Harold. His face is one of disbelief. He looks out to the ocean and then back to Maude. He begins to form the word "Why?"

MAUDE: So I'll always know where it is.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's really hard to hear you packing stuff. Are you seriously move to US, uh?? I cannot believe it!!
Satoru

May all beings be Free and in Love.



Blog Archive