Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Students



One of my drawing students sent me this video. It reminds me of Ween and Ponyo.

Teaching has been really fun so far. I feel like I have a knack for it. It's true I have been in the classroom teaching kids for five years, but now I get to teach them what I really like, and what I think about and talk with my friends about all the time: drawing. The course I am teaching is actually their Introduction to art school; their foundation course, AFND 101, You bet I talk them into a flow state when they warm up with scribble drawing and blind contour. Those intense single-pointed meditations help suspend attention and open the student up to the ocean of awareness within, that's for sure. We talk about articles I make them read (like William Irwin Thompson's Prehistoric Sculptures: The Body as the Story of Time ) and for homework I assign them a master drawing to copy. We end class sometimes drawing exquisite corpses , which point out how psychic everyone is.

No comments:

May all beings be Free and in Love.



Blog Archive