Saturday, October 13, 2012

Caleb!

Well, Caleb, my good friend I lived with in Japan for three years, is visiting from Minneapolis. Right now he is outside in his underwear doing jumping-jacks in the cold, pouring rain. We saw Tech N9ne the other night and I must say his performance was very impressive. I felt loved, and respected, and the crazy crowd moved and spoke as one body. Tech N9ne's love and identity with Kansas City informed my own investigation into the importance of place in the construction of self. His dancing was also superb--he did this kind of marionette dance and wizard hand movements that reminded me of Bobby Mcferrin's, only faster. Also, his "white face" clown markup and genre-mixing beats expressed hybridity in a fascinating way.

No comments:

May all beings be Free and in Love.



Blog Archive