Saturday, August 10, 2013

Handfasting






It was an honor to officiate Whitney and Jennifer’s Handfasting Ceremony last night! Here is my outline for those of you interested. 

"Greetings sisters, brothers, family, friends and guests.
We gather here on this beautiful day in this magnificent place to celebrate the handfasting of Jennifer Wilson and Whitney Hutsell.

I’m sure you know it is an HONOR to be here as a witness to your handfasting ceremony. I am not alone when I say that you two are gifts to our lives, and you are the proof that this universe is divine.


HISTORY

For those of you who don't know, Handfasting is the traditional ceremony that lead to the expression “tying the knot” to mean marriage. It became popular in medieval Europe, when people wanted to get married but did not have access to a priest. For handfasting, all they needed was a witness, someone to tie the knots, and for a cosmic element they looked to the biblical truism found in Matthew 18:20, when the voice of the highest love and mystery says: “When 2 or 3 gather in my name, There I am in their midst.” Well. Here we are, 3 or more of us, and we are all gathered here in the name of Love. Shall we begin?

To get us in the mood, I will read a poem that you both chose for this occasion.

I love you
not only for what you are,
But for what I am
when I am with you.

I love you, Not only for what
you have made of yourself,

But for what
you are making of me.


I love you

For the part of me
that you bring out;


I love you
For putting your hand
into my heaped-up heart

And passing over
all the foolish, weak things

That you can't help dimly seeing there,

And for drawing out
into the light

All the beautiful belongings
that no one else had looked

Quite far enough to find


I love you Because you
are helping me to make
of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern,
but a temple.

Out of the works
of my every day

Not a reproach,
but a song.


I love you
Because you have done

More than any creed
could have done

To make me good.
 And more than any fate
could have done

To make me happy.
You have done it

Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.

You have done it
by being yourself.

The large energizes the little as the atmosphere energizes the flame. Therefore, as one, large body, let us all rise. If you cannot rise with your body, rise with your mind. Open and relax your hands and face them towards the couple.

Now our bodies are synchronized. To sync up our minds, lets all think about Whitney and Jennifer. Just think about their kindness, their relationship to you, their love for each other and for their friends and family.

Now that we are all in love and our minds are in relative synchrony, as one voice, let’s repeat the sacred prayer three times and affirm our commitment to this couple.

Whitney and Jennifer,
Thank you
thank you
thank you.
We see you, we love you, we support you.

You may sit.

Together, our witnessing awareness will energize and consecrate your commitment to each other as we now listen to your vows and watch you exchange rings.

VOWS

You have made your vows, one to the other, before your largest and highest selves. Now we are ready to complete the handfasting.  Each family member will announce their hopes for your marriage and then tie their ribbon around your hands.

HANDFASTING

Imagine that woven into these cords, imbued into the fibers, are all the hopes of your friends and family, and of yourselves, for your new life together.
Now, kiss your first kiss as a married couple, and celebrate this union for the rest of your lives!




No comments:

May all beings be Free and in Love.



Blog Archive